Skip to main content

Thanks Tommy!

Here I sit in my hotel room in Utica, MI. The sound of the dishwasher is trying to drown out all the other non-familiar noises of this hotel.. Occasionally I’ll hear someone running down the hallway. Occasionally I’ll hear a door slam.

A few minutes ago I heard what sounded like a whole pack of dogs barking and howling. I didn’t think they allowed dogs in this place. It’s a nice suite hotel. I suppose families might be living in some of the rooms waiting for their house to be completed or something…. Oh well, doesn’t bother me any…

I got a package delivered to my house today. My wife called me to tell me about it. I asked her to open it… I guess I’m a little kid that way… She opened it and tried to describe what it was. She tells me it’s a wood piece about 13 inches by 8 inches. On it, burned onto the wood is the word HONDA and under that is a drawing of a wild boar. A guy from Florida sent it to me. Last winter I sent him some Wisconsin snow (all sealed in a jar). I was getting a little stir crazy because I wasn’t getting out much. I guess he wanted to return the favor by sending me something. That was really nice of him. He wrote me a note telling my what’s going on in his life. Last winter he sent me an email (after he received the snow) that really made me think about things and realize how one person’s actions can do good in ways that you can’t even begin to imagine. I’m so happy I sent that little jar of snow.

I never met this guy before. We have only communicated on a Motorcycle Forum on the Internet and via a couple of emails. It’s pretty strange knowing that someone you may never meet face to face is thinking about you and wishing you well. This Internet thing can be a pretty powerful thing.

I have to think of something to do this winter that will touch others. People I don’t know and will probably never meet. Life is too short to keep everything to yourself. I need to share more and spread a little joy…

Thanks Tommy!

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Just plain wrong

I just realized something… I didn’t make any friends in college. I went to UW-Milwaukee for 4 ½ years and I don’t have a single friend from those years. As a matter of fact, I can’t remember a single name of anyone I met in college. That’s pretty sad. In High School I made lots of friends. I knew lots of people’s names, but for one reason or another have not kept in contact with any of them… but in college, I can honestly say I can’t remember anybody. The people I remember from my college days are those friends I already had in High School. I came to this sudden realization after I spent last Friday touring UW-La Crosse with my wife and son. We were there checking out the college Ryan will be attending in the Fall. We spent most of the day listening to facility and students talk to us about how great life is at UW-L. After the listening session, we took a guided tour of the campus and then had an extended tour of the science building and it’s labs. I believe the main reason I never mad...

The Best Years of Your Life

This past weekend we drove up to Wisconsin Rapids to listen to a concert by the Wisconsin Chapter of the National Band Association. Ryan was selected to play in the All-State band. I think there were 90 students from 45 cities in that group. That band was incredible. Probably other than the President’s Own Marine Band, this was the best band I’ve ever heard. The director they flew in to direct this thing was outstanding. Over the short two days of rehearsals, somehow he brought all of these strangers together to make an ensemble that jelled like nothing I’ve experienced in my life. The dynamics, the accuracy and the overall feeling of the music was so uplifting. After something like this, I sure hope Ryan continues on with music in his adult life. If he doesn’t, at least I hope he takes all of these lessons he is learning about working together and uses them to help with all of those life problems he is sure to run into. It’s strange… people use to say to me, “these are the best years ...

I think I'll have a malt

I don’t think I should have gone to the doctor. A few weeks ago I had a little scare and decided at that point that it was best that I went in for a Physical. Patti made an appoint for me at the first mention by me that I should go see a doctor. She wasn’t going to let that opportunity pass since she has been trying to get me to go for the last 15 years. I went in for my appointment last Monday. They did the weight thing, the blood pressure thing and then I sat with the doctor and he asked if anything was bothering me. I said no, but was concerned because of my excessive weight and the fact that diabetes runs in my family. He listened to my heart, my lungs, felt my ankle and that was it… He wrote up an order for some blood and urine tests and told me to go to the lab some morning after I fasted over night. Well, I couldn’t do it the next day because I was leaving for Detroit, so the lab stuff had to wait until Saturday. Saturday morning I went to the hospital to have some blood drawn. ...